Followers

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

MV Breakdown! Taeyang - Ringa Linga

Hey guys! It's been so long since my last post, & so much has happened since then! (& I'm talking about within the Kpop world.)

This is my first MV, music video (just in case you didn't know), breakdown & I'm quite ecstatic to have it be about Taeyang's comeback song, Ringa Linga.

Just a quick fact about myself, Taeyang was the first Kpop artist I was introduced to. At the time, I didn't even know he was a Korean idol star, I just admired him for his skills as a dancer in the Wedding Dress MV. My friend was a fan of Movement Lifestyle, & since Shaun Evaristo, founder of Movement Lifestyle, did the choreography for the music video, she showed me his work. Who would have thought that a couple years later I'd be so engrossed with this industry?!

Enough about me, let's move on...

Taeyang's first solo album & EP was released in 2008, Hot, & his first full-length solo album was released in 2010, Solar. Now, three years later, he's back at it with a different feel from his Naman Barabwa & Wedding Dress days. Shedding his soulful, loving, & sweet R&B days, his latest single, Ringa Linga, hits us with a strong hip-hop vibe that meshes well with his R&B style vocals.

Now the question here is: what concept is he going for?! Every time an artist or group has a comeback, they almost always have a new concept, or theme, they're promoting. I'll have to admit that, at first, I couldn't come up with a single idea on what in the world the central theme of his comeback was..

In fact, I was somewhat disappointed in his new look.. Other than his beautiful, beautiful chocolate bar abs (& yes, I just compared his abs to a chocolate bar. You'd be lying if you didn't admit they were good enough to eat. Mhm. You think about that for a second.), I wasn't too fond of this new look. We all miss the fohawk -- cause for most, but not all, the braids are just not cutting it. & Of course, we all know how much of a sweetheart he is; his first kiss was due to the Wedding Dress MV! Who doesn't miss his creeping into our hearts, marry me love songs?!
Source
Source
Now, don't get me wrong, change is good. Seeing all the members grow & evolve over the years has been a pleasure for all the fans. I will never be an unsupportive fan just because of 180 degree turn in his image, that would just make me someone not even worth calling a fan.

Getting back to the music video, I couldn't come up with any ideas on my own. After watching the making of the music video, Taeyang mentions that the video is filled with people of all different races and cultures that just come together to enjoy the music, which is what his video is about.


If we get into the lyrics, it's mainly about having a good time & partying together, being free. What I found really intriguing about his lyrics is the allusion referencing Miley Cyrus' We Can't Stop -- "It's our party we can do what we want to." Whether or not this was intentional, it's still quite interesting since both songs are about enjoying the night & not really caring what others have to say. The only thing that still has me a little hesitant about the song is the lyrics "ladies bump bump bump shake shake that thing for me." Coming from a culture where vulgarity, not to say that these words are vulgar in the least -- I've heard much worse, & sexual innuendos are predominant in today's hip-hop/rap music, the lyrics itself was not the surprise. What took me aback was the fact that they were coming from our sweet Taeyang. Granted, it's a new look & new vibe, but it's just not something I'm used to hearing from him. The girls dancing around him in the video didn't help either.. (Like girl! Back up off my man! Just kidding.)

The overall song has an awesome beat, & it kind of reminded me of EDM, electronic dance music, the way it started off very subtle then the beat drops. For me personally, I had to listen to it a couple of times before it finally grew on me. The black light & underground party scene also added to that EDM vibe. The R&B break down during the bridge of the song was a nice touch cause it showed off his specific style of singing & brought back a bit of his old style that we're used to. & Of course, I have to point out the Winner boys, formerly known as Team A, & GD's special appearances in the video. The song itself doesn't fit GD's style, but the setting they had them in -- the car with the crazy lights in the background, as if they were traveling through time & space -- definitely fit the crazy image that GD is just amazing at pulling off.


Even though it has a its own separate video, I have to praise Parris Goebel for her work on the choreography. Everything was hard-hitting & on point! The varying angles & the way the choreography meshed with the beat & the vocal style of the song was extremely impressive. A sincere thank you for giving him those body rolls, as well! My favorite part of the choreography is the slight simplicity of the chorus, although not everyone will be able to do it with as much swagger as Taeyang or his dancers, it's still something that other's can do & will surely be quite catchy.


Whether or not I can claim this song as one of my favorites for the year is still a question in the air. The beat & concept are definitely fun & something that their fans who have grown with them can relate to. The biggest impression this song has left on me is the great work with the choreography. Taeyang has always had impressive moves in his videos & is known for being an excellent dancer, but this just took him to a whole other level.

No comments:

Post a Comment